Tuesday, November 18, 2014

Video games in the classroom

We have been using video games in the classroom for a long time.  I grew up playing "Oregon Trail" and "Where in the World is Carmen San Diego."  I remember really enjoying computer time and playing these games.  I think that using video games to learn is an excellent idea.  I would love to have a game about the process of photosynthesis, cellular respiration, or even cell division.  I already have ideas floating throughout my head, however, I have no clue how to make a video game.  I agree with the speaker in that we need to engage our students.  We do need content based video games.  Our students would probably love them.  Again, it's a great idea, but the speaker failed to tell us how, or even where we could find the tools to make these games.  All he did was give me ideas.  I don't know what to do with these ideas.  I kind of feel let down.

2 comments:

  1. I remember "Oregon Trail"! I never survived (ha!). I was expecting him to talk more about how to incorporate games into the classroom as well. Honestly, I do not think there is a good way to do it, especially with the types of games he was talking about. Not one of them was an academically educational game. He seemed to be trying to convince the audience that video games are not as detrimental as many are led to believe instead teaching them how to incorporate them. I think how I will incorporate them is to just ask questions about them in class like he suggested. Who plays a game that relates to what we're discussing? Can you think of a character in your video games who has to deal with an important decision like the character in our novel? That seems to be the only way to really incorporate to me. Not everyone will be able to participate in those discussions, but it would be nice to get the students talking about the games.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I use a ton of websites and game in my class room although I do teach 5th grade. We have procedures in place to be able to do those games and watch the videos in class. However I am still skeptical on students having their phones out knowingly and hoping they are staying on task. That is my only fear.

    ReplyDelete